Thursday, 10 July 2014

Oreo Cupcakes [recipe]

Hello,
I recently decided to make Oreo cupcakes and they came out pretty well so, I thought I'd share how I did it.




Cupcakes
The ingredients I used for the cupcakes are:

  • 175g of Caster sugar
  • 175g of softened unsalted Butter
  • 125g of self-raising flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 60g of cocoa powder (mix with around 100ml of boiling water)
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 4 Oreo cookies (crushed with the stuff taken out)
  • 25g of milk chocolate chips



First, I set the oven to gas mark 6. Then I started by mixing together the cocoa powder and water until I had a thick syrup-paste. Then, in a separate bowel, I creamed together the sugar and butter. I then combined the butter and chocolate mixtures together carefully.


Secondly, I slowly added the egg, adding small amounts of flour at the same time to prevent the mixture from separating. Then I added the remaining flour.


I then folded in the cookies and chocolate chips before adding the mixture to a lined cupcake tin. (I had to use a muffin tray but I was careful how much I put in.) I used an ice cream scoop to distribute the mixture evenly. I then put the cupcakes in the oven for 15 minutes, I originally tried 10 but, it was not long enough.


I made sure they were done by inserting a wooden skewer and making sure it came out clean. You need to make sure they are cool before removing them from the cupcake try and place them on a wire rack for a while before icing them. I made the mistake of removing them from the tray straight away and a few fell apart :(. 




The frosting

The ingredients I used for the Oreo butter cream frosting are:

  • 4 whole crushed Oreo cookies
  • 4 of 'stuff' from the cookies used in the cakes
  • 200g of icing sugar (plus 2 dessert spoons)
  • 100g of butter
  • Vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons of almond milk
  • Oreo cookies for decoration
I started by creaming the butter, extra 'stuff' and milk together before adding it to the sifted icing sugar. I creamed everything together until it was light a fluffy and then added some vanilla extract. (I like the kind with the seeds in.)



I then added the crushed whole cookies and out it into an icing bag. I realized that the piping tip I used was too small so I cut it out and just used the bag. I put a 'dollop' (very scientific) onto each smoothed it out roughly with a fork and then used a bit of Oreo cookie as decoration. 



Thank you for reading, for once something I baked actually turned out okay!




2 comments:

  1. They really do look delicious! I'll have to try to make them myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you should as they were quite easy as well as really tasty! :D

      Delete