Monday, 3 August 2015

Meal Monday: Cauliflower and Lentil Stew & Vegan Sausage Rolls

I recently tried out two recipes and loved them! I did find that with the cauliflower stew because all the ingredients are not necessarily in season, it seemed quite expensive but, after making it I realised that it could serve around 8 meals so, the cost per portion is quite low.

The cauliflower and lentil stew I found 'here'. I found it when looking for vegetarian slow cooker recipes as I don't have much experience with using one and wanted to try out a deep flavoured vegetable meal. The website also has hob instructions which will be great when I'm back at university and don't have access to my parents' slow cooker. I also swapped out the kale for spring greens as the spring greens were in season and cheaper and I tend to prefer them. Despite the recipe saying 8 hours on 'low' I did have to leave mine for an extra hour or two because the lentils weren't quite tender enough.
In the end I loved the meal and I loved the use of chilli and didn't really feel a need to add any sour cream when serving it. In my picture all the dry lentils have sunk to the bottom but, I promise they're in there!

This picture is before cooking, everything is really fresh!

I also made vegan sausage rolls from this recipe 'here'. The sausage rolls were really good, they had a risotto taste from the mushrooms and white wine and were really good warm! I forgot to add the mustard so mine were a little too dry to eat cold but, warmed through they tasted great. I also used a Sainsbury's lower fat puff pastry (not sure whether vegan or not) but, the Jus-Rol pastry is definitely vegan as far as I am aware. I have also seen online some vegan puff pastry recipes but, for a simple meal I thought it was too much effort to go through and I was scared it wouldn't work!

Mushroom filling!

I had a lot of fun making these and I feel like they are healthier alternatives to what I might have otherwise eaten. Thank You for reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment